Econ 350: Urban and Regional Economics. Fall 2003
First writing assignment due next week, September 16, 2003
Some general comments based on the experience of previous classes:
I. Choosing an article:
1. Avoid editorials
2. Do NOT use articles from academic journals or professional magazines. Use articles from mainstream publications, such as daily newspapers and weekly news-magazines.
3. Do not use any article that is more than 3-4 pages long, and 2-3 is better.
4. Do ask me about your article if you are not sure
1. Be critical, think outside the box. What does the author of your article NOT think of that he or she should have.
2. The process: The mind map, the rough draft, the basically finished paper, the polished paper. Don’t rush it. And have fun at the first stage.
2. Don’t start with a summary of your article, or of the course; start with a preview of your main insight.
3. I have seen a lot of articles on this unit, and most (not all, but most) are on the growth or decline of a city. Of these articles, almost all reflected a tension between the static economies of scale – cities benefit when they specialize – and the dynamic economies of scale – over time specialized cities suffer slower growth then unspecialized cities. In other words, both classes of models are important – and they can both apply to the same city!!!
III. What to hand in:
PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING YOU HAND IN, INCLUDING THE ARTICLE.
I will read and return rough drafts if they are submitted electronically, with their article, by Sunday before the paper is due.
You should submit a copy of your paper AND a copy of your article.
I accept electronic submissions in Word and WordPerfect. The article can be either an attachment (usually a PDF) or a URL as long as I don’t have to pay to access the URL.